Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Farm Fresh Eggs vs. Store Bought

Image Source
 If you have never had the pleasure of eating an egg fresh from the farm, boy are you missing out!  I had no idea how bland and tasteless those *insert major brand name "cage free"* eggs were until I brought home a dozen straight from the farm.  The yolks are brighter and creamier, and they are bursting with flavor.  And if that doesn't convince you, let's talk about nutritional value.... free range, farm fresh eggs are 4 times higher in omega-3s and 6 times higher in beta carotene than conventionally farmed eggs.  They also have HALF the cholesterol.  Below are 2 articles for you to reference the facts.  I have not bought eggs from the supermarket in 3 months now and I'm not looking back!  



So, where can you find these little nuggets of nutrition?  A sure-fire bet: find a local farmer and go have a look.  The farm where we participate in a CSA is 2 miles from our house in the burbs.  Here's a great website to get you started in your search:



You can also hit the farmer's markets, and health food stores....even our Whole Foods carries eggs from a local farmer here in TN.  I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in middle TN you can expect to pay anywhere from $3.50 - $4.50 per dozen which is money well spent.


One other warning I have about those conventionally farmed eggs - even if they are labeled "cage free" or "free range" I would still tread very carefully here.  Most commercial grade chicken feed is made from GMO corn.... and that translates directly into the eggs and meat you are consuming.  Also "cage free" does not mean organic. This is just another case of marketing ploys meant to get your dollars.  I used to think buying those more expensive eggs was "healthier"...when in fact it was not. If you absolutely have to buy from the supermarket, choose a brand that is USDA certified organic.  Just some food for thought! :)  Below is a link to some facts about labeling on eggs- just click on the cow!






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I'm doing a presentation on farm fresh vs. store bought for a school project and your links and facts were extremely helpful. My family also raises chickens and it's nice to know people appreciate farm fresh and support local farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi I am doing a science project that is do tomorrow and I need to do a bibliography on your page but I can't quite find the materials i'm looking for to do it do you think you can put that stuff on there?(I LOVE you blog)oh I am in fifth grade

    ReplyDelete