Friday, February 17, 2012

Musselman's Applesauce: Product Review and GMO Information



You know I'm all about making staples at home, to save money and use whole foods.  But sometimes you need a snack food that is convenient and easy.  I don't always have the time to make something from scratch.  My kids love applesauce as a convenient snack, so I decided to check them out on my next trip to the store.  Once I got there, I began checking the labels on every brand of applesauce.  Every single brand (including the Mott's "natural") had high fructose corn syrup in it!  As I reached for the last brand, Musselman's, I expected to see more of the same.  Nope!  The ingredient label read: apples, water, ascorbic acid (vitamin C).  Score!  I then emailed the company to ask them about GMOs in their products and here is the response I received:


"Thank you for taking the time to contact Knouse Foods regarding our MUSSELMAN’S Natural Applesauce.  In reply to your request for information on genetically modified (GMO) ingredients:  Knouse Foods has received certification from our ingredient vendors to assure that our purchases do not contain genetically modified organisms. 

We have also had our products that contain corn starches and sweeteners assayed and the results were negative for the presence of genetic elements which frequently occur in transgenic plants.

We are members of the Grocery Manufacturers Association/Food Products Association (GMA/FPA) and support its position on bio-technology and are continuing to monitor information and products.

We trust that this information will assist you.  If you have any further questions, please let us know."


Cherry Felts
Consumer Affairs Technician

Description: Description: branded logo for email signature 2007 version     
Knouse Foods Co-op., Inc.
53 E Hanover Street
PO Box 807
Biglerville, PA 17307-0807
717 677 9115 x4248
717 677 5402 Fax


I was very pleased with the reply, although I am unfamiliar with the GMA's stance.  I also contacted them by forwarding the email, and will update their response when I receive it.  Also, just to clarify, this is the Musselman's Natural applesauce - not the regular.  You can feel good about feeding this to your kids!


A small disclaimer: any reviews of products is based solely on research I have conducted myself.  I am not a scientist, or a lab worker, and do not test these products myself for GMOs.  I am not paid for these reviews - I conduct research and report entirely on my own behalf.  Please verify any information you see here for yourself.  My goal is to provide information that can help us feed our kids and ourselves clean food!

No comments:

Post a Comment