Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Most Delicious Homemade Chocolate Syrup



Over the past month, our family has radically been changing the way we eat.  As I educate myself further on food matters, we change the way we buy and consume food.  I don't buy anything in the store without reading the ingredient label first.  And little by little, I'm going through the staples in our pantry and fridge seeing what we can keep consuming and what needs to go.  We are a big family - 6 of us, and 1 more on the way in July - so frugality goes hand in hand with nourishment.  I want to feed my family the purest foods I can, but I don't have a zillion dollars to do it.  That brings us to the most delicious and fantastical homemade chocolate syrup in the world!  I happened to look at the back of our Hershey's syrup bottle and was dismayed at what I saw: high fructose corn syrup is the first ingredient, followed by a host of preservatives and questionable other ingredients. There is certainly nothing natural or wholesome about it!  Looking at organic syrups - at $5 and up for a small bottle it was definitely out of the budget.  A quick google search yielded many recipes for homemade chocolate syrup and it looked super simple.  I'm happy to say that it was!  I promise you if you try this, you will never buy Hershey's again!  It really is that good.  Just don't hate me when you have to fight the constant urge to squirt it straight from the bottle into your mouth. :-)

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

by Tara Milam
Prep Time: 8 Minutes
Cook Time: 5-7 Minutes
Ingredients (16 ounces)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar (organic preferable)
  • 1 cup cocoa powder (again organic is best!)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
Instructions
Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until dissolved.
Add the cocoa powder and salt to sugar water and whisk until all clumps are dissolved.
Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes until thickened.
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
Allow to cool before pouring syrup into bottle.
Store in refrigerator.
Powered by Recipage

Linking up at:


http://www.thethriftyhome.com









3 comments:

  1. I will never go back to Hershey's syrup again. This was by far the most delicious chocolate syrup I've ever had. Using top shelf cocoa powder is a major plus to the taste factor. Thanks for post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long will it keep? Great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should keep for about 4-6 weeks in the fridge in a bottle. I just reused our old Hershey's bottle. I am telling you it is soooo good. :-) Thanks Kristina!

      Delete